Uniswap (UNI) is an Ethereum-based token that powers Uniswap Protocol created by Hayden Adams and launched in Nov 2018. UNI is a unique decentralized exchange that allows users worldwide to swap tokens without intermediaries. UNI is known for facilitating the automated trading of decentralized finance (DeFi) tokens or Automated Market Maker (AMM). UNI creates more efficiency by solving liquidity issues.
Why UNI is Unique
- Ability to create liquidity in the DeFi field
- The largest decentralized exchange (or DEX) operating on the Ethereum blockchain
- Public can vote on Uniswap's development using its governing token (UNI)
What Gives UNI Value?
- Uniswap is self-governing. Funds are never transferred to any third party
- Uniswap uses a "liquidity pool," and algorithms set market prices based on supply and demand instead of order books like other crypto exchanges
What Affects the Price of UNI?
- The Uniswap platform's ability to create liquidity
- Ethereum's price, since UNI is an ERC-20 token (ETH to pay for the gas fees)
How Secure is The UNI Network?
Uniswap has the same level of security as the Ethereum blockchain as it is built on top of the Ethereum network.
Why do people like Uniswap (UNI)?
Because users can swap cryptos without making an account with a centralized crypto asset exchange like Coinbase or Binance.
How is Uniswap different from other major crypto exchanges?
On other exchanges, wallets are held on the exchange, and Uniswap doesn't hold your crypto wallet. You'll always retain ownership of your crypto assets.